1. Wednesday January 16th: Simple Machines Museum Walk
2. Monday, January 21st: No School - Civil Rights Day
3. Friday, February 8th: Half Day
1. Please send your scholar's copy of Little House in the Big Woods to school with your students on Monday, we will begin reading next week!.
2. Our next poetry selection is the Preamble to the Constitution. We will recite this on February 1st; student copies will go home Monday.
Simple Machines Museum Walk Invitation
The 2nd Grade Team would like to invite you to our Simple Machines Museum Walk on Wednesday, January 16th to showcase the wonderful simple machines projects our 2nd grade scholars made.
We will have the projects on display in the MPR and parents are invited to walk through our “museum” and admire everyone's work. In order to allow everyone the time to view the projects in an uncrowded environment we are staggering visitation times. Please find your child's group time below and plan to visit during that 30 minute time slot as this is when your child will be in the MPR. Scholars will present during the 15 minute time slot listed for their class. This is when they will stand by their project ready to explain their work. With the remaining 15 minutes, they will have an opportunity to explore the work of other students.
Group 1: 2A/ 2B Presentation and Viewing Time: 10:45-11:15Ms. Duran’s Class (2A) presents from 10:45-11:00Ms. Hadley's Class (2B) presents from 11:00-11:15
Group 2: 2C/2D Presentation and Viewing Time: 11:30-12:00Ms. Hervas’ Class (2C) presents from 11:30-11:45 Ms. Morga’s Class (2D) presents from 11:45-12:00
Logistics for the event
We hope you can make it to see all the interesting projects of these amazing second graders!
· Entrance: All parents must enter and exit the event through the west facing MPR door located near the drive up line. You do not need to sign in at the front office.
· Early Checkout: If you plan to check your child out early, please let your child's teacher know at the event. She will have our TA escort your child to the classroom to get their backpacks and walk them back down to the MPR to you. You must have your blue placard in order to check out your child early from the MPR. Your child's teacher will check out your child to you. If you have a sibling to check out early from a different grade, you will need to report to the front office. As a reminder, checkouts at the front office must be completed by 12:00 noon.
· Help Needed: In addition, we could use a few parent volunteers to help with the event. Please see the sign up. http://signup.com/go/EadAbac
Students will take their projects home at the end of the day, or, if they are being checked out early, they will take their projects home when they leave.
A Look in the Classroom
1. ELA: We will begin learning about article adjectives and add that to our sentence parsing. We will exploring different writing styles such as narration and expository. We will read another version of Paul Bunyan and comparing it to the version of the story we read this week.
2. History: Students will understand that many patriotic Americans were afraid of the Constitution and be able to identify James Madison as a key player in getting the constitution ratified. We will explored the Bill of Rights and understand why it is integral to our union.
3. Science: We will have students present their simple machines project. We will also finish discussing healthy eating and exercising.
4. Math Objectives:
1. Objective 1 : Review strategies for adding two 2-digit numbers
1. Friday: Spelling Test
Please do reach out if there is anything we can help with. Enjoy your weekend!
Mrs. Morga & Mrs. Farias